Cozy Minimalist Living Room
A minimalist living room creates a relaxing atmosphere for the entire family to enjoy and unwind. Do you notice how a clutter free room instantly brings our stress levels down? Or the opposite – how easily we get worked up when we are surrounded by too many things… especially things that we don’t really need at the moment?
A minimalist design is ideal when you want to open up a space and make it look bigger. This type of design is appealing to most people. It makes use of simple functional pieces, clean lines, classic colors, and keeps you organized with various storage options.
Just because the design is minimal, that doesn’t mean the space has to look sparse and empty or devoid of personality. On the contrary, a minimalist design guides you towards a lifestyle that is essentially you and totally functional.
To create a minimalist living room, here are some things you need to do:
- The first step in planning a minimalist living room is defining how you intend to use the room. Is it purely a sitting room to receive guests, or does it double to become the family den and entertainment room? When you know what activities takes place in a room, then you can plan the furniture for the equipment that will be housed in that room.
- Choose your colors. One of the keys to a relaxing minimalist living room is clean and airy colors. Choose 2 to 3 colors, with 1 dominant color and 2 accent colors. Popular colors are whites, and natural browns and greens – colors that are found in nature. Bright colors are preferred over dark colors. If dark colors are used, they are often used as accents.
- Use a single neutral color for your walls and floors. Not only will this create an open space, it also creates a serene mood for your room. In terms of texture, plain and patterns in the same color can be used. Avoid prints.
- When choosing furniture, choose only the furniture that you need. Choose furniture with simple and clean construction. Avoid excesses like ornate carvings, fringe and other embellishments.
- Curtains. You can opt to leave the windows bare. If you really need curtains, opt for roman shades or blinds made of bamboo or other similar material.
- Lighting. In a minimalist living room, pin lights are the best way to maintain that clean look while providing sufficient lighting to your room.
- Smart storage. The key to a clutter free living room is smart storage. Incorporate as much storage space into your design as possible. Clutter happens when there is not enough space to hold all our belongings. So planning for sufficient storage is important in a minimalist living room.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/5442949